Tuesday, December 23, 2008

Another one

After the pretty good icing we had last storm, making my snow accumulations off, I can report .15 inches of ice at my house. It was a pretty good glaze and our first ice storm this year, albeit small. However, this next storm is going to do much of the same. All Maryland counties west of the bay (Cecil not in Advisory) and excluding counties of St. Mary's, Charles, and Calvert are under a *Winter Weather Advisory* from 10 PM tonight 'til `10 AM tomorrow for freezing rain. I also expect sleet to mix with the freezing rain.

Heres what I expect:
I expect the precip to start as freezing rain/sleet/ maybe a few snowflakes and continue through the overnight into around 9AM due to current indications. The sleet could accumulate to around a coating or a bit more in heavier bands.

Now for ice accumulations, I expect 0.1-0.2 inches of ice. A period of verga could help the temperature cool off. If it does, I would expect even more ice. An Ice Storm Warning could be possible and I think there is a better chance than most believe. I don't expect it, but if the cold air wins, some localized spots could get up to 0.4 inches of ice.

The criteria for an Ice Storm Warning is 0.25 inches of ice for the NWS in STERLING(BALTIMORE/ WASHINGTON DC.) I will update later most likely. Stay safe, happy holidays.

No comments: